Current:Home > InvestCharles Langston:German police say 26-year-old man has turned himself in, claiming to be behind Solingen knife attack -Capitatum
Charles Langston:German police say 26-year-old man has turned himself in, claiming to be behind Solingen knife attack
SafeX Pro Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 02:11:32
SOLINGEN,Charles Langston Germany (AP) — A 26-year-old man turned himself into police, saying he was responsible for the Solingen knife attack that left three dead and eight wounded at a festival marking the city’s 650th anniversary, German authorities announced early Sunday.
Duesseldorf police said in a joint statement with the prosecutor’s office that the man “stated that he was responsible for the attack.”
“This person’s involvement in the crime is currently being intensively investigated,” the statement said.
The suspect is a Syrian citizen who had applied for asylum in Germany, police confirmed to The Associated Press.
On Saturday the Islamic State militant group claimed responsibility for the attack, without providing evidence. The extremist group said on its news site that the attacker targeted Christians and that he carried out the assaults Friday night “to avenge Muslims in Palestine and everywhere.” The claim couldn’t be independently verified.
The attack comes amid debate over immigration ahead of regional elections next Sunday in Germany’s Saxony and Thueringia regions where anti-immigration parties such as the populist Alternative for Germany are expected to do well. In June, Chancellor Olaf Scholz vowed that the country would start deporting criminals from Afghanistan and Syria again after a knife attack by an Afghan immigrant left one police officer dead and four more people injured.
On Saturday, a synagogue in France was targeted in an arson attack. French police said they made an arrest early Sunday.
Friday’s attack plunged the city of Solingen into shock and grief. A city of about 160,000 residents near the bigger cities of Cologne and Duesseldorf, Solingen was holding a “Festival of Diversity” to celebrate its anniversary.
The festival began Friday and was supposed to run through Sunday, with several stages in central streets offering attractions such as live music, cabaret and acrobatics. The attack took place in front of one stage.
The festival was canceled as police looked for clues in the cordoned-off square.
Instead residents gathered to mourn the dead and injured, placing flowers and notes near the scene of the attack.
“Warum?” asked one sign placed amid candles and teddy bears. Why?
Among those asking themselves the question was 62-year-old Cord Boetther, a merchant fron Solingen.
“Why does something like this have to be done? It’s incomprehensible and it hurts,” Boetther said.
Officials had earlier said a 15-year-old boy was arrested on suspicion he knew about the planned attack and failed to inform authorities, but that he was not the attacker. Two female witnesses told police they overheard the boy and an unknown person before the attack speaking about intentions that corresponded to the bloodshed, officials said.
People alerted police shortly after 9:30 p.m. local time Friday that a man had assaulted several people with a knife on the city’s central square, the Fronhof. The three people killed were two men aged 67 and 56 and a 56-year-old woman, authorities said. Police said the attacker appeared to have deliberately aimed for his victims’ throats.
The IS militant group declared its caliphate in large parts of Iraq and Syria about a decade ago, but now holds no control over any land and has lost many prominent leaders. The group is mostly out of global news headlines.
Still, it continues to recruit members and claim responsibility for deadly attacks around the world, including lethal operations in Iran and Russia earlier this year that killed dozens of people. Its sleeper cells in Syria and Iraq still carry out attacks on government forces in both countries as well as U.S.-backed Syrian fighters.
——
McHugh contributed from Frankfurt, Germany.
veryGood! (21348)
Related
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- New York governor pushes for tax increase after nixing toll program in Manhattan
- At 93 years old, Willie Mays has added 10 more hits to his MLB record. Here's why.
- Tisha Campbell Shares She's Been in Remission From Sarcoidosis for 4 Years
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- Massachusetts House approves sweeping housing bill
- Stranger Things' Joe Keery Breaks Silence on Big Breakup From Maika Monroe
- The Bachelorette's Rachel Lindsay Shares Why She Regrets Not Having Prenup With Ex Bryan Abasolo
- Who are the most valuable sports franchises? Forbes releases new list of top 50 teams
- Chiefs cancel OTA session after player suffers 'medical emergency' in team meeting
Ranking
- All That You Wanted to Know About She’s All That
- Vanna White bids emotional goodbye to Wheel of Fortune host Pat Sajak ahead of final episode
- Former officers who defended the US Capitol on Jan. 6 visited the Pa. House. Some GOP members jeered
- Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, It Couples
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Gabourey Sidibe Gives Birth, Welcomes Twins With Husband Brandon Frankel
- Billie Eilish and Nat Wolff come to blows in dizzying 'Chihiro' music video: Watch
- NBA Finals Game 1 recap: Kristaps Porzingis returns, leads Celtics over Mavericks
Recommendation
Will the 'Yellowstone' finale be the last episode? What we know about Season 6, spinoffs
Ashley Benson Shares Glimpse Into Motherhood 3 Months After Welcoming Daughter Aspen
Car ownership is getting more costly even as vehicle prices dip. Here's why.
17-year-old boy student in Seattle high school parking lot, authorities say
Off the Grid: Sally breaks down USA TODAY's daily crossword puzzle, Triathlon
Brown has 22, Porzingis returns with 20 as Celtics open NBA Finals with 107-89 win over Mavericks
Wheel of Fortune's Vanna White Says Goodbye to Pat Sajak in Emotional Message
$10,000 reward offered for capture of escaped Louisiana inmate